Before I share with you the recipe for these incredible tex-mex hot dogs, I wanted to let you know that I was recently interviewed by Food Lovers Website and I would love for you to go and check out my conversation with Correen. You might find out a thing or two that you did not know about me!
Now about those hot dogs…
On Memorial Day, apart from eating that delicious Frozen Mojito Pie, we also grilled a few things. Like these hot dogs.
I don’t think you can have a barbecue without hot dogs. Can you?
I like hot dogs because you can dress them up anyway that you want; relish, onions, bacon, cheese, etc… It’s all up to you.
This time around I knew I wanted them wrapped in bacon because everything tastes better with bacon, but I wasn’t sure what else I was going to throw on there. You know…to make them more interesting.
I then remembered a hot dog stand I used to go to when I was in college and they served their hot dogs Mexican style – salsa, chile peppers, nacho cheese – the works. Their hot dogs were amazing. Especially after a long night of clubbing studying.
What surprised me the most about these hot dogs was how impressed everyone was by them. I didn’t think you can impress with a hot dog, but I guess I can, and all I used were the few things that I already had in the fridge.
- 8 wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, divided
- 1 avocado, cut into 8 slices
- 4 tablespoons hot or mild salsa, divided
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Wrap the bacon in a spiral around each hot dog, then secure the bacon with a toothpick on each side.
- Place the hot dogs on the grill and cook, turning once, until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the hot dog buns by spreading a tablespoon of sour cream on the inside of each bun.
- When the hot dogs are done, take out the toothpicks and put each hot dog into a bun.
- Top with 2 slices of avocado on each hot dog and a tablespoon of salsa.
I have entered this deliciousness for a chance to win Ile de France Cheese! You can also enter your entree at, “Get Grillin’”, with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans.”