Boozy Fruit Tartlets @diethood 673x1024 Boozy Fruit Tartlets
Some of you that have been following me from the get-go may remember that I don’t celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December. That is, we don’t celebrate the Birth of Christ until January 7th. I am Macedonian Orthodox and since we still follow the Old Calendar, or the Julian Calendar, Christmas for us is two weeks later.

But, that doesn’t mean that I don’t get to stuff my face on Christmas Day with the rest of you.

My father’s Aunt and her family are Catholic, thus on Christmas Day (25th of December) at around 2 in the afternoon we get together at their house and we eat. And eat. And eat.
tartlets 8 1024x710 Boozy Fruit Tartlets
They serve some of the best food; ham, turkey, parsnips, creamy cauliflower, potatoes… the list goes on.
But, for dessert Aunty Lilly only serves one delicious, traditional English Fruit Cake. They came to the States over 15 years ago from England, and this dessert serves as a reminder of their home away from home.

When she serves the cake, she pours brandy over it, lights it up, dims the lights, and everyone starts to sing, “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”. Oh, it is such a beautiful moment.

Each person gets a slice of cake and, the best part, warm heavy cream on top of the cake slice! Oh my word. Best stuff ever.

This year she and her family will be celebrating Christmas in England, and that means no fruit cake for me! Booooo!

So, instead of waiting for a whole year to get my piece of the cake, I will be making these boozy fruit tartlets, again. Close enough, don’t you think? icon wink Boozy Fruit Tartlets

I ate a couple of them before I took the photos. Oooops. I couldn’t resist.

I should tell you that you will end up with enough dough for two tarts. Save one of them for Monday’s post. I have a very special recipe to share with you.
tartlets 2 682x1024 Boozy Fruit Tartlets
I’m linking this up with TidyMom’s I’m Lovin’ It

Boozy Fruit Tartlets

Total Time: 1 hour, 00 minute

Yield: Serves 12

For the Fruit Filling
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup dark raisins
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons Brandy or Rum
  • 1 cup cranberry juice
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • For the Tart Crust
  • Adapted from Nick Malgieri’s “Bake! Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking”
  • Makes two 10-inch tarts. We will only need one (1) for this recipe.
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons butter, cold, cut into 10 pieces
  • 2 whole eggs
  • Topping
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • Turbinado Sugar
  • Warm Heavy Cream (optional)

For the Fruit Filling
  • Combine all ingredients, except for pecans and cinnamon, in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
  • Turn down the heat, and let simmer for 10 minutes, or until almost all liquid is absorbed.
  • Remove from heat and mix in the pecans and cinnamon. Set aside.
  • For the Crust
  • Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
  • Add the butter and pulse until the butter is completely mixed in.
  • Add the eggs and process until the dough forms a ball.
  • Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough in half, and flatten each half into a disk.
  • Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  • Assemble
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Prepare the crust by taking one of the disks of dough from the refrigerator.
  • Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
  • Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to about a 13-inch diameter disk.
  • Spray a 12-cup cupcake pan with cooking spray.
  • Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut dough into 12 rounds.
  • Press each round into the greased pan, pressing up the sides.
  • Collect all the scraps and, again, roll out the dough.
  • Using smaller cookie cutters, cut out 12 shapes. Set aside.
  • Fill each tartlet with fruit filling.
  • Top with shaped dough.
  • Topping
  • Brush tops and edges with egg.
  • Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
  • Pop out each tartlet using a thin knife and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
  • Serve with warm heavy cream.

pixel Boozy Fruit Tartlets

19 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. mjskit December 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM - Reply

What cute little tarts! Raisin and booze – YUM! :)

2. Dina December 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM - Reply

so cute and festive!

3. Terra December 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM - Reply

What a fun family tradition, love special family memories like yours! The fruit cake does sound spectacular! What a fun recipe idea to keep the tradition going:-) Your tarts are adorable, and the booze just makes them that much better! Hugs, Terra

4. Kristina December 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM - Reply

so the 25th is still a celebrated day for you – it sounds lovely! these look and sound fantastic as well – they may have to be a part of my menu this year…

5. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen December 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM - Reply

I love these Kate!! You know I am a fan of stuffing my face ;)

6. Sumayya Jamil December 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM - Reply

Adore these I can not wait to make them for Xmas!! love the pic too! thanks for sharing x

7. Kristy December 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM - Reply

These are just GORGEOUS! And your photos are stunning as usual. I really like the idea of celebrating Christmas on January 7th. It could be months of celebrating that way – Thanksgiving in November…New Year’s Eve in December and then Christmas in January. Not to mention, then my annual healthy kick could be stalled a few more weeks. ;)

8. Averie @ Averie Cooks December 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM - Reply

Just pinned these babies – they look and sound great. Love a little buzz with my desserts!

9. Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) December 7, 2012 at 11:37 PM - Reply

The first picture one of the first images that greeted me when I woke up this morning and I haven’t stopped thinking about the tartlets since. Love, love that picture and I bet they taste awesome, too. :)

10. Sandra's Easy Cooking December 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM - Reply

So beautifully styled and photographed,…not to mention delicious looking! Awesome recipe! Pinned!

11. Holly December 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM - Reply

I might be able to convince my English husband that these are even BETTER than the traditional fruit cake he craves. They look wonderful!

12. Valerie December 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM - Reply

You had me at boozy.

(Love that you partake in the face-stuffing on the 25th!) As a recovering catholic-turned naughty agnostic, that’s the one thing I’d never give up…well, the presents are neato too. :D

13. Laura Dembowski December 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM - Reply

Those look wonderful! They are so right up my alley with all the fruits. Christmas is an interesting holiday because it has taken on such a life of its own outside of any religious meaning. All the things I love about Christmas have nothing to do with religion at all.

14. Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM - Reply

These tartlets are so cute, I especially love your first photo!

15. Angie@Angie's Recipes December 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM - Reply

These fruit tartlets look stunning! So are the photos!

16. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking December 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM - Reply

Everytime I come to your blog I stare for few minutes at the photos. They are stunning!
    You’ll have to give me some tips how to improve mine.

17. Ramona December 7, 2012 at 5:38 AM - Reply

How cool that you get to celebrate the eating part of Christmas twice and “stuff your faces”. :) Of course if I ate boozy tarts…. I may not wake up until two weeks later. :) I’m a light weight when it comes to booze. : ) But I would still eat the tarts. :)