grilled cheese thumb Jack O Lantern Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and a Halloween Link Party

24 years ago this week I stepped off the airplane at O’Hare Airport, looked around, saw some grey skies, concrete, tall buildings in the horizon, and asked to go back in the plane. I wanted to go back home. The parental unit told me to straighten up and shut up. I cried like a little girl. Probably because I was a little girl. Compose yourself, they said. ‘Screw you’ is what I wanted to say.

As I stepped down that plane I experienced the first of my many culture shocks; tight rolled jeans and mullets! 1988 was a great year for fashion around here, huh?

But, I felt like that was nothing compared to what I was about to see; pumpkins! Pumpkins were everywhere. As we drove toward our new home/house, all I saw was hay, corn, pumpkins, more pumpkins, and carved pumpkins. What in the world is going on in this country, I thought.  Where’s “Dynasty”, or “Dallas”?!?

It wasn’t too long before I found out about this fun Holiday where you get to dress up as a witch and eat lots and lots of candy.

In Macedonia we have something similar where you dress up in character on two different occasions.  One is on April 1st, or April Fool’s, and the other is on January 15th, or the start of the New Year according to the Julian Calendar. Thus dressing up in disguise, or in costume for a Holiday was not something new to me, but those pumpkins were. And they scared me.

I have to admit, though, it wasn’t too long before my dad and I were outside carving up pumpkins just like everyone else. I remember it was so freakin’ cold outside, but he was determined to help my sister and I to accept this new country as our new home, and help us try to fit-in with the rest of the American kids.

In honor of those days, I am going to post a new Halloween treat every day this week, and hope that you will also join me by adding your Halloween links to share your spooky creations with me and the rest!

grilled cheese 2 thumb Jack O Lantern Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and a Halloween Link Party

First in line this week are these “carved” grilled cheese sandwiches. Aren’t they cute? And they take all of 5 minutes! What’s better is that even the pickiest preschooler eater will want to gobble these up. All you do is cut out Jack O’ Lantern faces on a couple of slices of bread and ta-da! Breakfast is served! Or a snack, of course.

To link up your blog post just scroll down until you see the little blue “Add Your Link” button. Click that and follow the instructions on the page you’re redirected to. The Link Party will remain open until October 31, 2012, 11:59 pm CST.

Jack O’ Lantern Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Yield: Makes 2 Servings

• Pairing Knife
  • 4 slices sandwich bread
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 slices Cheddar Cheese

• Take two slices of bread and cut out shapes using pairing knife to make jack-o-lantern faces.
  • Preheat skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
  • Generously butter all four slices of bread.
  • Place unshaped slice butter-side-down onto skillet and add 1 slice of cheese on top.
  • Take the shaped slice, butter it, and put it on top of the sandwich, butter-side-up.
  • Grill until lightly browned and flip over.
  • Continue grilling until cheese is melted.
  • Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread.
 Jack O Lantern Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and a Halloween Link Party

pixel Jack O Lantern Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and a Halloween Link Party

28 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. mjskit October 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM - Reply

This grilled cheese is hilarious! What a fun lunch for a kid and a kid at heart!

2. Matt October 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM - Reply

Whoever thought you could make a Halloween-themed breakfast meal! Very interesting!

Speaking of holiday-themed food, this newsletter I subscribe to is holding a recipe contest. If your idea is creative enough, it looks like you could win a prize!

Take a look right here: https://apps.facebook.com/whcontests/the-natural-knowledge-247-holiday-recipe-contest

3. Ramona October 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM - Reply

I love these… I am definitely making these for my kids soon!!!

4. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM - Reply

A lovely breakfast to wake up to!

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM - Reply

I’m so glad we met! I love your blog and as someone who’s moved from one country to another, I do understand embracing the holidays and traditions. Halloween isn’t celebrated much in Australia but I always do a bit of a party or get together. My husband isn’t too excited about dressing up.

These sandwiches would be so cute for kids. I can see it now, “Hey Mom, I just ate the eye!” :)

6. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM - Reply

How cute are these! My 7 year old loves grilled cheese, I will have to do this for him one day, he will love it!

7. Laura (Tutti Dolci) October 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM - Reply

Your grilled cheese sandwiches are so cute, I love the idea!

8. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes October 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM - Reply

What a cute idea!!

9. Matt mmWine Horbund October 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM - Reply

A simple but delicious Halloween snack idea for kids!

10. Liz October 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM - Reply

You are such a FUN mom! Even I’d be pleased with one of these wonderful sandwiches…who doesn’t love a grilled cheese? My only Halloween post will be on Sunday…I’ll link it up then :)

11. Cassie | Bake Your Day October 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM - Reply

Adorable! I could live on grilled cheese!!

12. Becky October 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM - Reply

Thanks for hosting this Scaary Linky Party! I’ll ahve to make your scary grilled cheese for my hubby!

13. Melissa@EyesBigger October 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM - Reply

I’m a grilled cheese junkie and these are so freaking CUTE! I love them. What a fun idea for Halloween!

14. Kristy October 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM - Reply

It’s just the kids and I for dinner tonight. I’m making these! So awesome Kate. And I can just imagine how strange all the pumpkins and scary decor looked to you as a child. I never really thought about that before – it would likely have scared me to death in that situation. And Dallas – LOL! I used to sneak out of my bed and sit behind my mom’s chair in the living room to watch it. She was on to my little game and usually pretended to find me after about five minutes. There was just something so enticing about that opening theme song! ;) (Plus the guy from I Dream of Jeanie was in it!)

15. Boy, I’ll bet Dudette would gobble these up in a heartbeat. I might just do this kind of thing with her regular school sandwich. It’s an awesome idea!

16. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen October 22, 2012 at 7:26 AM - Reply

Hee heee! So darn cute!

17. baker street October 22, 2012 at 6:35 AM - Reply

Heh! I totally want that for breakfast! Can’t wait to see the other treats you’ll share with us this week :)