panini thumb Provolone Pepperoni Pepper Panini

Nom Nom Nom! That’s one gorgeous panini!

Today I am going to introduce you to Karen from Inspired Art of Cooking, and also the author of her very own cook book, Karen’s story.

Karen’s story is an inspirational one, and I urge you all to take a moment and read about it on her site.

“Karen came to a place of true acceptance of living with a chronic illness and traded the animosity for a life of meaning and purpose. She has chosen to overcome the obstacles in life, and through that, God has given her the passion to create recipes from scratch, and to live life to the fullest no matter how hard it is.”

—————————————————————————————

Cooking shouldn’t be an obligation. It’s meant to be enjoyable and creative. It’s about putting your personal touch into everything you make. Cooking isn’t black-and-white, but it’s meant to be a mixture from the entire spectrum. With my recipes, I allow you to play with your food again! In this panini recipe, I offer a range of measurements so that you can be the chef of your meal and decide how little or much flavor you desire in this sandwich. Like all of my recipes in my cookbook Karen’s story, alternative ingredients are listed below for vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free dieters, those with peanut allergies, as well as eaters with other dietary needs. You’ll also find plenty of helpful and fun tips below to aid in both preparation and food storage and to help save money, among others.

This recipe came about when I didn’t know what to cook one night. We had not been to the store, and the cupboard was nearly bare. I’ve discovered that I write some of my best recipes when making something out of nothing. This off-the-cuff recipes has become one of our family favorites, and I hope it becomes one of yours too.

Provolone Pepperoni Pepper Panini

(serves 4)

You will need:

• ¼ – ½ sliced onion
  • ¼ – ½ sliced bell pepper
  • 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 slices pumpernickel bread
  • ¼ -½ lb deli-sliced pepperoni
  • 8-16 slices provolone cheese
  • ½- 1 Pesto, store- bought or homemade (recipe below)

Homemade Pesto Ingredients

• 1 bunch fresh basil
  • ½ bunch fresh parsley
  • 2-3 cloves grated/chopped garlic
  • ¼ – ½ cup peanuts/pine nuts
  • 1 lemon
  • ½ – ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
  • ¼ – ½ cup extra virgin olive oil

Pesto Preparation

• In a food processor combine basil, parsley, garlic, pine nuts/peanuts, lemon zest with the juice from lemon and parmesan cheese.
  • While processing, pour in extra virgin olive oil. Add amount of oil to reach desired thickness. Makes roughly ¾ cup.

Sandwich Preparation

• Turn on Panini/sandwich maker or place non-stick skillet over medium heat.
  • In a separate skillet on stovetop over medium- high heat, sauté onion and pepper slices with olive oil until onion is translucent and/or vegetables are tender.
  • Spread pesto on one side of each piece of pumpernickel bread.
  • On top of pesto side, layer 4 slices of bread with a couple of pepperoni slices and 1-2 slices provolone cheese. Spoon on onions and bell peppers.
  • Add another couple of slices of pepperoni on top of peppers and onions. Form a sandwich by placing a piece of bread on top, pesto side down.
  • Place in Panini/sandwich maker or skillet. Cook until cheese is melted. If cooking in skillet, flip sandwich halfway through.

Alternatives

Original Ingredient: Replace With:
bell pepper mild peppers (cubanelle, poblano, or Anaheim), medium heat to hot peppers (fresno, jalapeño, chipotle in adobo, serrano or habanero peppers), or any type of pepper
extra virgin olive oil vegetable oil, butter/margarine, or dairy-free margarine
pumpernickel bread brown rice bread, rice bread, or any type of sliced bread
deli-sliced pepperoni thinly sliced soy-based pepperoni, pancetta, prosciutto, salami, ham, corn beef, pastrami, turkey or prepackaged pepperoni
provolone cheese any type of sliced cheese or soy-based cheese
basil tarragon or mint
parsley chervil or cilantro
garlic cloves ¼ – ½ tsp garlic powder or ½ – 1tsp minced garlic
peanuts/pine nuts sunflower seeds, almonds, chickpeas (drain and dry), or any type of nuts
lemon lime
parmesan cheese soy-based cheese or any type of grated cheese

panini thumb1 Provolone Pepperoni Pepper Panini

pixel Provolone Pepperoni Pepper Panini

49 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Cookingwishes September 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM - Reply

Nice panini, looking very tasty! I might make this!

2. Elies_Lie September 19, 2011 at 5:28 AM - Reply

Yes kate! That is a gergeous panini!!
    Tq for posting the recipe & introduce us to karen…
    I already enjoying my read in this short post by karen :)
    And I want u to know that u won an award at my site kate… congratulations!! ;)

3. Hester aka The Chef Doc September 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM - Reply

What a wonderful and tasty panini! Who doesn’t love a good panini! The flavors are just outstanding in this one :-) Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

• Karen Blake Peek September 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM - Reply

Thank you for your comment. I hope you will love this panini as much as we do. The flavors just go together and taste so great. Thanks again for your post and I was happy to share with you all. Thanks for reading.

4. spcookiequeen September 17, 2011 at 12:22 AM - Reply

Some of my favorites have been born out of desperation. Love the photos, will go say hi! Hoping you are having fun and have a great weekend.
    -Gina-

• Karen Blake Peek September 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM - Reply

Thanks for your post. It is great to hear that some of your best have come out the same way mine have. Thanks for the comment my pics. I hope you will love this recipe as much as we do. Thanks again for your post.

5. Beth Michelle September 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM - Reply

Who doesnt love a good panini? This looks so amazing! YUM

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM - Reply

Thank you so much for your comment. I hope you will love the panini. If you love my picture of it then I know you will love it even more. Enjoy and thanks for you post.

6. Carolyn September 16, 2011 at 6:19 AM - Reply

I love panini, and this one looks so flavourful!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 3:00 PM - Reply

Thank you so much. I hope you will enjoy the recipe. It is so very flavorful. I know you will love it as much as I do!!!! Thanks for your post.

7. Alyssa September 16, 2011 at 3:44 AM - Reply

Great post! I love how many possibilities you provided. I’m drooling!!!!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:59 PM - Reply

Thank you so much. I have swaps not just in this recipe but in all my other recipes in my cookbook. I wanted everyone to be able to enjoy the book. I am glad my picture is making you drool because the panini will even more. Thanks for your post.

8. Ann September 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM - Reply

Okay – this is unbelievable! I love panini’s and this one is stunning! Buzzed!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM - Reply

Thank you for your comment. I am glad you like my picture but I know you will love the panini even more. Thanks again and enjoy!!!

9. Baking Serendipity September 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM - Reply

I love paninis on nights when I’m not sure what else to make for dinner :) Yours looks delicious!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:56 PM - Reply

Thank you so much for your comment. I hope you will enjoy this recipe when you make it. I am glad my picture makes you want to eat it because you will love it.

10. Happy When Not Hungry September 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM - Reply

I’m drooling over here! This looks fabulous Kate!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM - Reply

Thanks for your post. I am so glad my picture is making you drool. The panini will make you do it even more. Thanks for your post.

11. Lindsey@Lindselicious September 15, 2011 at 7:12 PM - Reply

Why are panini’s so much more delish than regular sandwiches? This looks super yummy Kate!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM - Reply

Thanks for your post. I wonder the same thing. I guess it is the melted cheese. Anyway, have a great day!!

12. Cassie @ Bake Your Day September 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM - Reply

Pretty sure I couldn’t say that four times fast but I want to eat it! I love the recipe but the alternatives are great. Sounds delish!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM - Reply

Thank you so much for your comments. The alternatives are not just in this recipe but also in all my others in my cookbook. I wanted everyone to be able to enjoy all my recipes. Thanks again for your post.

13. The Farmers Wife September 15, 2011 at 4:28 PM - Reply

Oh wow… why didn’t I see this BEFORE lunchtime… lol! Looks so delicious!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM - Reply

Thanks so much for your comment. I hope you will enjoy the recipe.

14. Michelle September 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM - Reply

Yes it is a gorgeous panini… now I am craving one….. dinner time!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM - Reply

Thanks for your post. I hope you will love this as much as we do. Let me know what you think after you have it. Thanks for your post and enjoy dinner!!!

15. Sandra September 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM - Reply

Hi Karen, this looks so gooood!! We’re big panini fans and I know my fmaily would love this.

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM - Reply

Thank you for your comments. I hope you will love this panini as much as we do. If you can, let me know how you all liked it after you make it. Thanks again for your post.

16. Steph@stephsbitebybite September 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM - Reply

As if I wasn’t hungry already! Now I can’t stop staring at these pictures!!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM - Reply

Thanks for your post. I am so glad my picture makes you want to eat this panini. It makes me want to do the same thing. Thanks again!!

17. Megan @ Pip and Ebby September 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM - Reply

This looks wonderful! I love sandwiches and I love playing with sandwich ingredients. These ingredients…YUM. I could dive into it right now.

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM - Reply

Thank you for your comments and I wish I could give one to you now to dive right into. This is one amazing panini and I hope you love it as much as we do.

18. RavieNomNoms September 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM - Reply

Loving it!! Looks like my kind of meal. Nicely done

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM - Reply

Thank you so much for your comment. I hope you will enjoy it if you try it. Thanks for your post.

19. Dana Salvo September 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM - Reply

It’s lunch time & I’m really wishing I had some pepperoni right about now girl! Yummy.

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM - Reply

The pepperoni makes this panini. It is so good all on its own too. Hope you have a great day!

20. Katherine Martinelli September 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM - Reply

I love panini and this one looks great! I love the concept of all the ingredient substitutions. Great post!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM - Reply

Thank you for your comment. I hope when you make this you will love it as much as we do. The substitutions are not just in this recipe but all my recipes from my cook book. I wanted everyone to be able to use my book and enjoy each recipe. Thanks for your post as well.

21. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM - Reply

This looks like one amazing sandwich! So full of great ingredients. Thanks for the intro to Karen!

Hope you are having a great trip Kate!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM - Reply

Thank you for your comment. I hope you will enjoy the recipe.

22. The Elegant Eggplant September 15, 2011 at 10:16 AM - Reply

This looks wonderful, Karen!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM - Reply

Thank you so much. When I took the picture, I had no clue it would come out looking like I would want to eat it off the plate. Thank you for the comment.

23. Sandra's Easy Cooking September 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM - Reply

Nice to meet you Karen, your panini look fantastic. Flavors blend together and I can imagine the great aroma of peppers…and of course provolone and pesto are always amazing in sandwiches. Thanks for sharing ! Wishing you both awesome day!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM - Reply

Thank you for the sweet comment. The panini is one of the best ones I have made. I hope you will love it as much as we do. Hope you have a wonderful day as well.

24. Sandi September 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM - Reply

So yummy! Love that it’s on pumpernickel!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM - Reply

It tastes great on this bread and it is very unique. Thanks for the comment. Hope you will enjoy the recipe.

25. Hello, my friend! I hope you’re still having an awesome time. I do miss you.

Karen, so good to meet you. I look forward to heading to your blog and seeing more of your delicious food, as well as reading your story. This may be the first panini I’ve seen made with pumpernickel and I’m in love with it. I’d swap out the peppers since we’re not fans of them heated, but the rest looks fantastic. Many thanks for sharing your “winged-it” recipe!

• Karen Blake Peek September 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM - Reply

Thank you so much for checking out my website. I hope that I was able to inspire you through it. The Pumpernickel bread makes it even more tasty. I hope you will love it when you make it. Thanks again for your sweet comments. As for the peppers, you can leave them out all together or swap for any other vegetable you like. Either way, it will taste great!!