roasted tomatoes 1 thumb French Fridays with Dorie: Slow Roasted Tomatoes

I was really glad to see that this week’s Dorie assignment was not just an easy one, but a very familiar one, as well.

Slow-roasted tomatoes always appear on our dinner table as either a side to chicken or a topping for pasta.

roasted tomatoes thumb French Fridays with Dorie: Slow Roasted Tomatoes

These grape tomatoes were tossed in some olive oil and dressed with a whole lot of garlic, herbs, and some salt and pepper.

Dorie suggested that I use 1-2 garlic cloves…are you kidding? I’d be fired from this kitchen, Gordon Ramsay style, if I didn’t add in at least double that.

I then roasted the tomatoes in the oven on low temperature for 3 hours. Usually I roast them at 350 for about 45 minutes and they turn out the same. Just sayin’. icon wink French Fridays with Dorie: Slow Roasted Tomatoes

I can’t share the entire recipe with you (I just did), but you can get this wonderful cookbook at Amazon and join our French Fridays with Dorie club!

roasted tomatoes 3 thumb French Fridays with Dorie: Slow Roasted Tomatoes

pixel French Fridays with Dorie: Slow Roasted Tomatoes

67 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Sis Boom August 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM - Reply

I finally got around to making them and they were perfect tucked into Bison Burgers I made last night. I’m afraid they aren’t lasting long as I’m eating the rest like candy.

2. Skylar August 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM - Reply

Looks tasty, though I agree with you, I think 350 for a shorter time gives the same result.

3. Chrissy August 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM - Reply

Oh my word! Slow roasted tomatoes are my fav! I have like a bazillion of them to harvest this week, so I feel like its the perfect time to indulge!

4. Firefly August 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM - Reply

Love the look of this and tomatoes on pasta are always yummy :) Craving some now LOL

5. marla August 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM - Reply

Tomatoes are best when grilled or slow roasted – love this!!

6. Megan @ Pip and Ebby August 9, 2011 at 8:12 AM - Reply

I LOVE roasted tomatoes. And I’m with you on the quicker method. They taste just the same to me!

7. Magic of Spice August 8, 2011 at 7:38 PM - Reply

Looks like a lovely and delicious pasta dish…love those roasted tomatoes :)

8. Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) August 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM - Reply

MMM i am obsessed with tomatoes this time of year!!! great recipe, simple and delish.

9. Feast on the Cheap August 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM - Reply

This is one of my favorite weekday dinners. My mom used to make me pasta with slow-roasted tomatoes when I was a kid and it’s something I keep in the weekly rotation as a bonafide grown-up

10. Elin August 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM - Reply

Kate…these tomatoes are so good and it is so versatile…great in pasta too :)

11. Trix August 8, 2011 at 7:55 AM - Reply

This is a thing I love to do, and I also always add generous amounts of garlic. Yum!

12. Kate @ Kate from Scratch August 7, 2011 at 9:09 PM - Reply

Well, I must say that you have accomplished a feat. I will be purchasing this cookbook. Yes, before it was all…”oh wow…great recipe” . But now, for the first time I actually feel like this recipe speaks to me, personally. I love it. It’s simple, it’s natural, it’s beautiful and it’s versatile. Absolutely brilliant.

13. alyce August 7, 2011 at 8:27 PM - Reply

Sounds yummy. I also use roasted tomatoes like this to top a toasted baguette spread with local goat cheese.

14. Alida August 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM - Reply

Your pictures are amazing! This looks like a great recipe for slow-roasted tomatoes…I’m looking forward to making it!

15. 5 Star Foodie August 7, 2011 at 7:51 PM - Reply

Slow roasted tomatoes sound excellent over pasta!

16. Emily @ Life on Food August 7, 2011 at 6:47 PM - Reply

Fresh tomatoes right now are too good to do anything but eat right now. In the winter time though I roast tomatoes till my husband refuses to eat any more. This pasta dish looks amazingly delicious!

17. Angie@Angiesrecipes August 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM - Reply

Looks so good! I am going to make some slow roasted tomatoes for myself tomorrow.

18. Hester Casey @ Alchemy in the Kitchen August 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM - Reply

Mmmmmmmmm – can’t beat slow-roasting to improve the flavour of tomatoes. Good idea to put them with pasta.

19. Kristi Rimkus August 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Reply

I always forget how wonderful slow roasted tomatoes are, especially this time of year when you can mix them with fresh basil! Thanks for the reminder, and I like your 45 minute version better. :)

20. Mary August 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM - Reply

I love roasted tomatoes, but am terrible at keeping up with French Fridays! These look amazing and I am heading to the farmers’ market now to look for some tomatoes.

21. Stacey Rider August 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM - Reply

Your tomatoes look so good – I want to grab them off the screen. I have a container in my frig and I’m about to turn the oven on… thanks for the inspiration!

22. Cristina August 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM - Reply

Kate: You make the most beautiful food! Gorgeous dish and congrats on the Top 9.

I’ve been saying for months that I was going to invest in Dorie’s French cookbook, but still have not. I think it’s about time I did!

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

23. Anne August 7, 2011 at 6:48 AM - Reply

Another variation:

2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp oil
    1 tbsp chopped garlic
    2 tsp dried basil
    2 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp dried hot chilies (adjust down if you want)

45 mins at 400F and it’s also great tossed with pasta. Usually I’ll add 2 cups of cauliflower to it as well, cut into small pieces.

• Kate@Diethood August 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM - Reply

Thanks, Anne! Love all these variations we can do with our tomatoes! :)

24. Ramona August 7, 2011 at 6:37 AM - Reply

Gorgeous! Lovely dish and the presentation is superb! Congrats on making Top 9! : )

25. Yosefa @nonrecipe August 7, 2011 at 5:05 AM - Reply

I’ve been thinking about harnessing this summer sun to do some slow roasting or sun drying outside. But I don’t have a roof apartment. I think I need to build something to keep the bugs out but let the moisture escape. Hmm…

26. bwak August 7, 2011 at 4:35 AM - Reply

love this!! Oh those tomatoes…

27. Priscilla - She's Cookin' August 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM - Reply

Lol, thanks for not sharing the recipe ;) Tons of tomatoes on the vine right now and can’t wait to begin roasting them! Beautiful photos, Kate – congrats on the Top 9!

28. Jeanette August 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM - Reply

Beautiful photos of this simple healthy dish. I love garlic and would add more too. Nice to know either roasting method results in the same lovely roasted tomatoes – some days, when I’m running around with the kids, a slow-roasted method might work well; other days when I’m in more of a hurry, your method would be perfect.

29. The Farmers Wife August 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM - Reply

That is just beautiful Kate! Love this dish!

30. Heidi @ Food Doodles August 6, 2011 at 11:38 PM - Reply

Looks delicious! I love roasting tomatoes, they taste so yummy. And I totally agree with you on the garlic :D

31. Teresa August 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM - Reply

I added more garlic, too – it’s hard for me to think of there ever being too much garlic. Great photos!

32. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen August 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM - Reply

LOL, I love how you just surreptitiously shared the recipe with your audience in this post (well, there really was nothing much of a recipe, was there?). I gave this week’s roasted tomatoes a miss but will probably do it sometime in the near future because they sure look good on your pasta!

33. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar August 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM - Reply

Kate, I love this. I eat dried “maters” any chance I get but for some reason never thought to do them at the same time as garlic. DOH! I will now! :-)

34. Sarah August 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM - Reply

I love things with really simple flavors. Roasted tomatoes on pasta sounds perfect :)

35. Terra August 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM - Reply

I love simple pasta dishes! This looks so elegant, colorful, and delicious:-) Beautiful! Hugs, Terra

36. Cher August 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM - Reply

Lovely photos! Looks great with the pasta.

37. Hester aka The Chef Doc August 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM - Reply

Who doesn’t love roasted tomatoes??! They end up being so sweet and soft… I pop them into my mouth just like candy. Well, if I ate candy, that is ;-)

38. Adriana August 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM - Reply

I made my leftovers into pasta earlier today for lunch. I love your higher temp/less time shortcut, although I see why Dorie would suggest roasting for almost three hours. I had to laugh at the garlic comment. :)

39. Dee at Deelicious Sweetsd August 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM - Reply

Ha! I love the garlic comment! I am always doubling my garlic. Well, except when my dad comes for dinner then I have to leave the garlic out because he doesn’t like garlic. It’s almost impossible for me to leave out the garlic. So painful!! Great photo’s and the recipe is super easy and looks delicious :)

40. CouponClippingCook August 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM - Reply

This looks so delicious and healthy too. Love the fresh ingredients. Great pictures too!

41. Junia @ Mis Pensamientos August 6, 2011 at 8:42 AM - Reply

i’ve never roasted tomatoes, but i am sure that are sooo flavorful, especially with double the amount of garlic you added! :D

42. Kim Bee August 6, 2011 at 1:22 AM - Reply

You really make me wish I could eat tomatoes. The whole ones make me react for some reason. I wonder if they’re slow roasted like this if I could eat them. This looks so good. I may make this for my in-laws when they come for dinner next. Always a pleasure to stop by Kate. You always deliver.

43. Lindsey@Lindselicious August 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM - Reply

Slow roasting grape tomatoes is so fun! I never think to do that- I always do it with the big ones. Love the pasta you made the photos are making me drool Kate!!!

44. claudia lamascolo August 5, 2011 at 9:47 PM - Reply

amazing drooling over this dish yum!

45. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 5, 2011 at 9:32 PM - Reply

Tomatoes look wonderful! The pasta with mushrooms is perfect for them.

46. Sandra August 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM - Reply

Beautiful dish Kate.

47. Charlie August 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM - Reply

1-2 cloves garlic? That would never happen in my kitchen either :P. Your pasta looks delicious with the tomatoes & mushrooms!

48. The Harried Cook August 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM - Reply

Beautiful roasted tomatoes… I love dishes like these! But I would have to eat it alone, because I am the only one in our home that really enjoys fresh tomatoes… :) Great job with this one!

49. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM - Reply

My kids and I especially love tomatoes. These roasted tomatoes will be super popular. I actually have never roasted tomatoes before. It’s very “western” thing to roast meat and veggies that I need to try more (it’s easier for one). Thanks for your inspiration!

50. Cassie @ Bake Your Day August 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM - Reply

Yum, love these! I have been eating a lot of roasted tomatoes lately, they are so delicious!

51. Mandy @ Cater to Me August 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM - Reply

I am sooo with you on the garlic – the more the better in my opinion! I love roasted tomatoes, and the simplicity of these ones is so wonderful!

52. pachecopatty August 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM - Reply

These are yummy and I’m trying them with pasta next time;-)

53. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} August 5, 2011 at 5:28 PM - Reply

It’s amazing how such a simple thing can be so amazing! They look fabulous!

54. Tom August 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM - Reply

Hi Kate thanks I will have to try this..FYI: here’s on I adapted from Tupelo Honey Cafe when in NC for a quick visit it’s pretty good.
    (Oven-Roasted Tomatoes)
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    12 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
    1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
    Fresh thyme, rosemary or oregano leaves, for (optional) garnish
    Preheat the oven to 350 F Degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper. Add the tomatoes to the mixture and toss gently until tomatoes are coated. Place a wire rack on top of a rimmed sheet pan (cookie sheet) and place the tomatoes cut side up on top of the wire rack, reserving the lemon vinaigrette mixture.
    In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt & pepper, thyme, and oregano. Sprinkle the herb mixture on top of the tomatoes and place the sheet pan in the oven for about 1 hour, or until just beginning to caramelized. Remove the pan from the oven and brush the tomatoes with the reserved vinaigrette, using a pastry brush. Continue to cook for about 30 minutes longer, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Add optional garnish.
    Yields 24 tomato halves: 6 servings

Lemon Vinaigrette (adapted from Tupelo Honey Cafe)
    1 Tablespoon shallots, finely minced
    2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 Tablespoon Sherry vinegar
    1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Place the shallots, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice, basil, and sugar in a food processor and blend well. While the machine is running slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture thickens. Remove and pour into a container. This dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Yields 3/4 cups

55. Kris August 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM - Reply

Yum! Love, love this! My tomatoes are calling…

56. Ann August 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM - Reply

OMG – this is amazing! I would eat 2-3, 12 bowls of it….and your photo is absolutely stunning…

57. Dessert By Candy August 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM - Reply

Stunning photo of the pasta dish with the tomatoes! LOL at your 45min remark. I feel the same way.

58. Kristy August 5, 2011 at 4:27 PM - Reply

Oh I love roasted tomatoes – and grape tomatoes are some of my favorite. I just used a heap of them in a chickpea salad last night. I’m with you – double the garlic please!!! I never measure when it comes to garlic, I just toss heaps of it in the recipes. :) This dish looks divine (as Fancy Nancy would say – one of my little one’s fav’s)!

59. Liz August 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM - Reply

Gorgeous, Kate!

60. Candy August 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM - Reply

Your tomatoes look amazing!!

61. Rita D K Simmons August 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM - Reply

Saw that post and great final product, looks yum!

62. Tiffany August 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM - Reply

This prep highlights the beautiful sweetness of summer tomatoes. LOVE this!

63. kitchenarian August 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM - Reply

Where have I been that I have not been making these for years? They are so delicious! I love how you serve them over pasta, but I really love how you make them in only 45 minutes.