DSC01990 thumb French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Eclairs

I am no stranger to eclairs. As a matter of fact, I can say that I grew up on them. If they weren’t in my Mom’s kitchen, they definitely were at the nearest pastry shop in my hometown of Bitola, in Macedonia.

Therefore, when I saw that these were a menu item for FFwD, I was super excited. I have only made eclairs a handful of times so I was just a tad bit nervous, but once I got started I could not wait to finish – I ate four of the pastries (plain) while they were cooling.

Don’t judge – I was hungry. Due to the three different parts to this recipe, lunch was pushed back, Ana’s nap was pushed forward, but dessert was served on time! wlEmoticon smile3 French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Eclairs

DSC01991 thumb French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Eclairs

Eclairs are long, puffed, and cream-filled pastries. The dough, which is made of milk, butter, sugar, and flour, is piped onto a baking sheet with a pastry bag and then baked until golden brown. Once cooled, the pastry is filled with a crème pâtissière, or pastry cream, and finished off with a powdered sugar glaze which is spread over the top of the éclair.

Dorie’s recipe calls for a vanilla pastry cream to be piped inside the éclair, but I went a different way and filled the eclairs with a Nutella Cream Cheese filling – I heart Nutella. Besides, I thought that the flavors of the Nutella and the flavors of the glaze would really complement each other. And they did. Oh boy did they ever! It really was a delicious dessert.

DSC02012 thumb French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Eclairs

The participants of buy the book do not publish the recipes; we urge you to buy the book and enjoy it together with us. You can pick up a copy at Amazon.

DSC02005 thumb French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Eclairs

pixel French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella Eclairs

66 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Secret Agent Mama/Mishelle Lane April 21, 2011 at 3:20 PM - Reply

Ok, totally just stalked your blog for a few minutes.

My parents are from BITOLA!!

• Kate@Diethood April 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM - Reply

Pozdrav!!! I’m so glad you found my blog!

2. Mina @ Angellove's Cooking April 20, 2011 at 7:57 AM - Reply

Kate, these are exactly my kind of eclairs!!! OMG :) I desperately want that book :))!! And the cream cheese nutella filling id really fabulous!!!!

3. Magic of Spice April 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM - Reply

Oh wow, I would definitely want desert first with these beauties!

4. Priscilla - She's Cookin' April 19, 2011 at 12:02 AM - Reply

Lol, you grew up on eclairs! Love your Nutella twist and the fact that you rearranged the day so dessert was served on time :) Priorities, babe.

5. A little bit of everything April 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM - Reply

i just received my copy of FFwD and still having a hard time deciding which recipe I should try first.
    these eclairs looks so dangerously tempting. would have a hard time stopping after just 1 or 2. love the nutella twist.
    thanks for sharing Kate

6. Claudie April 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM - Reply

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one growing up on eclairs :) In Nice, we have so many bakery shops full of amazing pastries and yet, one of the most tempting desserts for me has always been the eclair. The chocolate version, as well as the coffee one. Yum! Now I must absolutely try this Nutella version :)

7. kita April 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM - Reply

It really looks like everyone did a beautiful job with this weeks FFwD. I love everyones twist on it too! The nutella filling sounds great!

8. Chris and Amy April 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM - Reply

Nutella! Genius!

9. briarrose April 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM - Reply

Ooooo….a Nutella filling…I am soooo going to remember this when I unleash my next eclair making spree. ;) Wonderful idea.

10. Lauren April 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM - Reply

Oh my……fabulous!!!! I love eclairs. I could eat a million of them. Job well done on these. They look incredible.

11. Lori April 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM - Reply

Love, love, love seeing everybody`s eclairs!! They look so lovely and inviting!! I don`t blame you for the quality control checks on the cooling pastries!!

12. Yuri April 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM - Reply

That glaze is killing me! Looks so good :)

13. The Farmers Wife April 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM - Reply

Oh Lordy… Those look so perfect! I tell you what, you make those, and I’ll make my Krispy treats and we’ll have a party! hehe!

14. Dee Dee's Delights April 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM - Reply

This sound great, I am hosting a linky party called Sunday Buffet, Your welcome to add these to the Buffet line! http://deedeesdelights.blogspot.com/p/sunday-buffet.html

15. Tiffany April 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM - Reply

I love that you switched it up using Nutella … and I LOVE that dessert was on time :D

16. Baking Serendipity April 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM - Reply

Eclairs are a special treat for me, and I haven’t had one in so long. Yours look fantastic…and I love the use of Nutella!

17. PolaM April 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM - Reply

Love your blog and I wanted to pass something along… An award is waiting for you here http://cookingitalianinthemidwest.blogspot.com/2011/04/awards-galore.html. Hope you enjoy it!

18. Jill@MadAboutMacarons April 17, 2011 at 10:26 AM - Reply

Kate, these are just gorgeous. So wicked, too with the nutella. How could you eat 4 while they were cooling, though? ;-)) Lol.

• Kate@Diethood April 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM - Reply

very carefully!! I was blowing on them and popping them in my mouth! :)

19. sanya April 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM - Reply

Your eclairs look great!
    I have many memories of visiting cake shops in Bitola with my grandmother!
    And I too love love love Nutella.

• Kate@Diethood April 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM - Reply

Doesn’t Bitola have some of the greatest pastry shops you’ve ever seen? I especially love, “Ајчо”…his pastry shop and his restaurant right next door are amazing!

20. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen April 17, 2011 at 4:15 AM - Reply

I’ve always liked the chocolate eclairs the best, but Nutella eclairs top even those!

21. Monet April 17, 2011 at 12:34 AM - Reply

Smile. I LOVE ecalirs too, but I never make them at home. I need to change that! I love the nutty twist you made on this classic recipe. Nutella is always a good decision! Thank you for sharing your sweet self with me tonight. I always know I can find something delicious and uplifting when I visit. I hope you have a safe and happy Sunday.

22. Lindsey at Burn Me Not April 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM - Reply

These look so yummy!! I have this cook book, so I have no excuse… I have to make some… like, right now. :)

23. Liz April 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM - Reply

YUM! Fabulous eclairs, Kate…your glaze alone is making my mouth water!!!

24. Teresa April 16, 2011 at 6:42 PM - Reply

Nutella cream cheese filling sounds wonderful – thanks for sharing your variation!

25. Cakewhiz April 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM - Reply

This is my type of dessert and the fact that it has nutella….i love it even more!!!!!

26. Sprinkled With Flour April 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM - Reply

These turned out so beautifully! Great job:)

27. Hester aka The Chef Doc April 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM - Reply

Oh, Kate Kate Kate… mmm mmm mmm!!!! I’ve always wanted to make caramel eclairs. I’ve never made eclairs before but man, I want some so bad right now!

28. Angie@Angiesrecipes April 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM - Reply

How pretty! Love the nutella filling.

29. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz April 16, 2011 at 2:10 PM - Reply

Wow they look amazing, and I like you they bring back childhood memories too. It was my go to pastry when I was a child and we went to nicer restaurants.

30. Adriana April 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM - Reply

Nutella and cream cheese filling sounds ripe for a patent! These look fantastic, Kate, especially the glace.

31. PolaM April 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM - Reply

Never tried baking eclairs… maybe is time to start!

32. C1tr4 April 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM - Reply

What a brilliant idea Kate with your filling cream… Love it! ^_^ and the picture also looks scrumptious …..

33. Elaine April 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM - Reply

When I was making my eclairs I thought nutella would be so good in these, but didn’t think about the addition of cream cheese…Mmmmm! Yours look so inviting and wonderful!

34. MarmandeintheKitchen April 16, 2011 at 6:10 AM - Reply

Good idea to use nutella! I heart nutella as well. Looks great!

35. Becky April 16, 2011 at 5:51 AM - Reply

Nutella and cream cheese in an eclair, pure genius. These look so amazing.
    I want one now!

36. Jean April 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM - Reply

Wow, I really should pay more attention to the FFwD schedule. I’ve been wanting to make eclairs and this would have been the perfect opportunity. Darn. I already have the book, too. It would be a great reason to use it.

Yours look wonderful, though. I can only imagine how awesome the Vanilla-Nutella combination tastes. :-)

37. Sandra' Easy Cooking April 15, 2011 at 10:23 PM - Reply

Beautiful photos, great recipe and presentation! Thanks for sharing Kate!

38. Kankana April 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM - Reply

The look super tasty .. I would probably done what you did .. eat even before they cooled enough :P :D
    Happy weekend XOXO

39. Firefly April 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM - Reply

I want all that is on the third picture LOL they look so good. I love eclairs and with Nutella, oh yum!

40. kitchenarian April 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM - Reply

Oh my goodness, Nutella. Great idea. You did a great job. I loved making these; it was fun!

41. Patty April 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM - Reply

It’s great that you had fun with creating your own Nutella filling:-)
    They look beautiful with the contrasting colors of the glaze and the delicious filling, what a fun dessert to serve and I’m sure it was appreciated;-)

42. Charlie April 15, 2011 at 7:57 PM - Reply

Nutella eclairs! Must be so good!
    No judging here. I’d eat at least 4 too ;).

43. claudia lamascolo April 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM - Reply

this looks awesome!~ wow I want a dozen or two please!

44. Cher April 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM - Reply

Very nice. I think if you put all the work in to them, you deserve to nibble on as many as you would like!

45. visda April 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM - Reply

they look gorgeous. i always buy them from a nearby patisserie but i didn’t know how to make them. thanks for sharing your amazing recipe.:-)

46. Happy When Not Hungry April 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM - Reply

Wow my mouth is literally watering!! The Nutella addition is so creative and looks amazing. Nice job Kate!

47. Parsley Sage April 15, 2011 at 5:31 PM - Reply

Nutella filling. Holy smokes that’s hot. Loving these little beauties.

48. Sandra April 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM - Reply

Wow Kate, they’re so pretty! Sounds like you had fun making them too, and I think dessert should always be first. Hope Ana didn’t mind the schedule change. :)

49. Mary April 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM - Reply

Nutella inside? You had me at hello.

50. Emily @ Life On Food April 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM - Reply

Nutella filling oh my. These look delicious. Each Friday I think about getting that cookbook and joining the fun!

51. Megan April 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM - Reply

No judgment here….I would have eaten well more than four! YUM!!!

52. Evan Thomas April 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM - Reply

These look terrific!

53. Kimberly (Unrivaledkitch) April 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM - Reply

gorgeous! I would be a thousand pounds if i made these they are just beautiful. lovely photo kate!

54. spcookiequeen April 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM - Reply

I just received the book, I was wondering is this one from it, or one of your creations. I was just trying to narrow down what to try first. Thanks.
    -Gina-

• Kate@Diethood April 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM - Reply

You will love the book!! I hope you can join FFwD!
      The filling is all mine, but I did follow Dorie’s recipe for the eclair pastry and the glaze.

55. Vicki @ WITK April 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM - Reply

These look like delicious little chocolate sandwiches :) Great work!

56. Priyanka Bhattacharjee April 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM - Reply

Very yummy looking and and too tempting

57. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen April 15, 2011 at 10:35 AM - Reply

Kate, that nutella cream cheese filling stopped me in my tracks….how genius of you! Your white glaze looks so smooth and perfect too :-).

58. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite April 15, 2011 at 8:42 AM - Reply

They look fabulous Kate! I love the idea of the cream cheese nutella filling too.

59. Geni April 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM - Reply

Your eclairs look great, and the nutella filling sounds delicious! I’m glad that you pushed your schedule around in order to serve dessert on time…it’s important to prioritize the important things in life, like eclairs!

60. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective April 15, 2011 at 8:04 AM - Reply

Oh dear, I think these would be dangerous to keep around! I think I would have eaten more than 4–I can just imagine how good they smell.