DSC01837 thumb Date and Ginger Cream Pots

Once upon a time I was a college chick. I had my own downtown Chicago apartment and a bunch of friends to share it with on the weekends. We partied like rock stars (sometimes even with them – HI LL COOL J! wlEmoticon smile2 Date and Ginger Cream Pots), we ate bad food, and drank whatever we could afford – aka Mad Dog 50/50. (what the? blah!)

But on Sundays all that would change because I would step into the kitchen and work some magic! (And help out a few hangovers.) This was our weekend ritual; party from Thursday to Saturday, and eat Kate’s food on Sundays.

One Sunday afternoon, while everyone was still asleep, I rolled out of bed and before I even brushed my hair, I went straight to the fridge (too much drinky drink the night before) because my mind was on one thing, and one thing only – cream cheese dessert… any cream cheese dessert. I was actually aiming for a cheesecake, but that didn’t happen because it was going to take too long – I needed to satisfy this craving ASAP.

DSC01833 thumb Date and Ginger Cream Pots

I then went to my trusted recipe booklet (a Microsoft Word Document) and pulled up a recipe that I had copied down from a magazine. I have no idea what magazine it came from, but I still have the recipe and go to it whenever I am in need of something quick and delicious.

I ate two full servings before someone finally got up that morning and joined me for the other two. I had to make more for the rest of the crowd.

Thus if you are making this for company, double the recipe.

Get your ramekins ready and start – these only take about 30 minutes from start to finish!

Date and Ginger Cream Pots

You will need:

• 1 package (8 ounces) Cream Cheese, room temperature, softened
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 8 fresh dates, pitted and chopped
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • zest from one small orange
  • powdered sugar for garnish
  • vanilla or shortbread cookies, or tea biscuits, on the side

Directions:

• Preheat oven at 350.
  • In a deep mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and flour.

DSC01821 thumb Date and Ginger Cream Pots

• Fold in the dates, ginger, and orange zest.
  • Spoon the mixture into small (6 ounces or smaller) lightly sprayed ramekins – you’ll need only 4.

DSC01824 thumb Date and Ginger Cream Pots

• Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until firm and lightly golden on top.
  • Dust heavily with powdered sugar.
  • Serve warm with a side of vanilla cookies or shortbread biscuits.

***When eating this, push the teaspoon to the side – it’s best if you use the cookies to scoop out the mixture. MMMMM!

DSC01832 thumb Date and Ginger Cream Pots

pixel Date and Ginger Cream Pots

54 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. John April 14, 2014 at 5:59 AM - Reply

I’m not good in baking but I’ll try my best to make it :)

2. Ayla Withee April 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM - Reply

Wow, this looks amazing! This is total comfort food. My sister would love this dessert. Forget about the out-of-the-box betty crocker cake (it’s probably blasphemy to even suggest such a thing on FoodBuzz :) , I’m going to make this for her birthday. Thanks!!

3. Dana Salvo April 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM - Reply

Very creative, I can only imagine what your kitchen smelled like! I could have def. used some hangover magic to help this chick today :)

4. irena April 16, 2011 at 7:04 PM - Reply

Kate, this is beautiful dessert….and lovely photos.
    I don’t know why but I don’t see your posts on the Foodbuzz so I can’t always catch your new posts….love to read your blog…have a nice rest of the weekend:)

• Kate@Diethood April 16, 2011 at 7:26 PM - Reply

We weren’t “friends” on Foodbuzz … I just saw that! I sent you an invite. :)

5. Liz April 15, 2011 at 7:43 AM - Reply

Oh, Kate, these are beautiful! And I know everything you share is just as delicious as gorgeous.

6. Trix April 15, 2011 at 6:37 AM - Reply

I can definitely see why this would be delicious hangover food!! Yum. Ok: Did you REALLY hang out with LL Cool J? I love him. Jealous!! Also: I just posted the giveaway winner … and a little bird told me that it just might be your lucky day!! xoxo

7. Jean April 15, 2011 at 12:30 AM - Reply

Sounds like some fun times! This dessert seems so easy; it belies how special a treat it is. Must try this soon! :-)

8. Baking Serendipity April 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM - Reply

I have never seen anything like this before! They look fantastic :) I love college memories, but definitely didn’t have anything like these in mine!

9. torviewtoronto April 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM - Reply

date and ginger are yummy flavours haven’t had with cream cheese before looks wonderful

10. kita April 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM - Reply

Oooh I love hangover food (not that this is hangover food – buuut for the sake of the story Im labeling it that). This does sound delicious though – no matter why Im snacking on it.

11. A little bit of everything April 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM - Reply

what a funny story. guess most of us party like rock starts in college.

your super fast cheesecake substitute sounds amazing. can’t wait to try it. thanks for sharing Kate

12. Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com April 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM - Reply

Oh for those carefree days when our only worry was how to ease a hangover! Wait a second… didn’t we have that problem last weekend? Anyway, hangover or not this is so crave-able, if that’s a word. Just aching for a spoon to dig into that creamy goodness!

13. Firefly April 14, 2011 at 7:10 PM - Reply

It looks so good :) love your post ;)

14. kristina April 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM - Reply

i’m officially drooling…

15. fooddreamer April 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM - Reply

Yum! I can’t believe you made these when you were hungover in college, they look way to fabulous for that.

16. Sprinkled With Flour April 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM - Reply

I just love the name cream pots, I don’t know why, call me weird:) This recipe sounds so creamy and delicious, definitely something to eat with a small spoon and savor each bite!

17. claudia lamascolo April 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM - Reply

What a wonderful recipe… so pretty to serve at an elegant dinner party as well~

18. Kristen April 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM - Reply

I think that would make a great treat with or without the hangover! It sounds delicious.

19. Megan April 14, 2011 at 8:32 AM - Reply

Oh wow, this sounds delicious! What a unique combination of ingredients!

20. Vicki @ WITK April 14, 2011 at 8:29 AM - Reply

This recipe looks delicious, I love the flavors! This would be the perfect breakfast I think :)

21. Michelle April 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM - Reply

One of my sorority sisters would make crepes for us whenever we were hungover and they were the best! I bet these would beat the crepes in terms of hangover food!

22. bojana April 14, 2011 at 2:35 AM - Reply

wonderful recipe. i love quick and tasty desserts.

23. citronetvanille April 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM - Reply

Oh what a creative little dessert, I rarely cook with cream cheese but willing to give those a try!

24. Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} April 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM - Reply

These look SO delish! I wish I had one right now. Can you send one through the screen? :)

25. Sandra's Easy Cooking April 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM - Reply

Looking great, I love the presentation and flavors of your dessert! Funny post!!!:))

26. Amy April 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM - Reply

I love dates in ANY dessert, but this sounds especially delicious in a pudding like dessert and with the addition of the ginger!

27. Kankana April 13, 2011 at 9:32 PM - Reply

This is going to be so yummy :) I don’t like dates at all.. can you suggest me something else I can use in stead !

• Kate@Diethood April 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM - Reply

I’m thinking figs! I hope you like figs :)

28. Lil @ sweetsbysillianah April 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM - Reply

wow…this looks heavenly! what a unique combination of flavors – never had dates and ginger together.. do you think the dates can be substituted with another type of fruit?

• Kate@Diethood April 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM - Reply

I am going to suggest figs… I think that’s the best alternative.

29. The Farmers Wife April 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM - Reply

Haha! Oh the good ole’ days huh? This sounds delicious, and I can see why you still make it, as it looks incredible! Great story!

30. Parsley Sage April 13, 2011 at 7:34 PM - Reply

Where the heck where you when I needed a good hangie-cure breakfast on Sunday morning, huh? When I was in college, Sunday meant I splurged at Jack in the Box for a Breakfast Jack. Yikes. Awesome recipe, love me some quick yummies.

31. Imwaytoobusy April 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM - Reply

Oh, wow… This looks so decadent! Your stories are always so entertaining :)

32. Becky April 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM - Reply

these little pots sound so delicious, and I love using the cookies for a spoon. Less dishes to wash, especially good, when you have have a hangover:)

33. Charlie April 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM - Reply

I think I’m not much of a typical college girl… if I go to one party/semester it is generous :P. But I do cook a lot ;).
    This looks SO good! Cream cheese with dates, ginger and orange; all things I love!!!

34. Medeja April 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM - Reply

I wish I had known about your parties when I was staying in Chicago.. :)) This dessert sounds amazing! Cream cheese desserts I like a lot and this one has such great ingredients as dates, orange zest, lemon juice..

35. PolaM April 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM - Reply

Now I want to get back to college too (not grad school!)….

36. Lindsey@Lindselicious April 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM - Reply

Sigh, I remember those days of Thurs-Sat partying too. Good Times! These cream pots look so delish, especially with the ginger flavoring.

37. Magic of Spice April 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM - Reply

Fantastic Cream Pots, and fun background :)

38. Happy When Not Hungry April 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM - Reply

Haha I can’t picture this at all Kate especially the Mad Dog! Hahah. These pots look beautiful and so delicious. Love the date and ginger combo too :-)

39. 5 Star Foodie April 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM - Reply

These sound so decadent, what a wonderful flavor profile with dates and ginger, love it! A must try for sure!

40. Kimmy @ Lighter and Local April 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM - Reply

Ha – this was a hangover cure? I love it. I like that it’s such a different flavor. You see a lot of the same “flavors” in baking these days, and this is a beautiful standout!

41. Priscilla - She's Cookin' April 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM - Reply

What the? Where’d that come from :) You’re so cute and your friends were lucky to have you making hangover cures like these! Yum, love the citrus zing.

42. Sandra April 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM - Reply

This is simple and sinful at the same time. What a way to crush a craving really quick. Gotta try this.

43. Fran {The Flavorful Fork} April 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM - Reply

These look wonderful! And I love the idea of using the cookie as a spoon. We should eat every meal that way!

44. Shea Goldstein April 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM - Reply

Mad Dog – LOL!! You’re too funny. These ginger cream pots look so good :)

45. Leanna @ Raptortoe April 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM - Reply

What a cute story and awesome recipe!

46. kateiscooking April 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM - Reply

What a great combination, Kate!!! Wish I wasn’t trying to diet and could go home and make these tonight… But, whole grain pasta with spinach and sun dried tomatoes will have to do :-(

47. Kristy April 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM - Reply

Oh does this sound good!!!! I’m wishing you were my roommate in college. I could have used these on a Sunday morning!

48. Celia April 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM - Reply

This looks delicious! I’m totally hooked on both dates and ginger – always keep both in my pantry. Personally, though, I’m more a “straight for eggs and bacon” kinda gal after a few drinks. ;-)

49. Lauren April 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM - Reply

yum…isn’t it funny how sometimes the best things come from hangover cravings? :) These look fabulous.

50. Lora @cakeduchess April 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM - Reply

Kate-all these wonderful flavors!I love cream cheese and need to make this soon! This looks delicious! Thank you for all your support recenly:)