Remember those tasty, squared little focaccia samwiches from my focaccia bread post?
If you are entertaining at home this weekend, these mini Roasted Red Pepper Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheese Served on Focaccia Bread, or samwiches (I love calling it a “samwich”), are something that you will want to serve. They are crunchy, creamy and delicious.
Serve them at your next party, or you can just stick them in your lunch box; they are great any way that you want to enjoy them.
You will need:
- 1 homemade focaccia bread, cut up into squares
- Red Peppers, 1 per sandwich (my bread recipe should yield 8 to 10 sandwiches)
- baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- Herbed goat cheese spread
For the goat cheese you will need:
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (3 oz.) of goat cheese
- Make the focaccia bread first.
For the Peppers:
- To roast the peppers, preheat the broiler and line a sheet pan with parchment paper, or grease it lightly.
- Cut peppers in half, lengthwise, and remove the seeds and stems.
- Place peppers cut side down on the sheet pan.
- Broil for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Peel when cooled.
For the Herbed Goat Cheese Spread:
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients except for the goat cheese, mix well.
- Coat the goat cheese with the mixture, press the mixture into the cheese with a fork and combine well.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If you have the time, prepare this a day ahead; the longer it sits, the better it tastes.
Assembling the Sandwiches:
- Spread the herbed goat cheese on two squared slices of focaccia.
- Layer the portobello mushrooms on one slice, then follow up with the roasted pepper.
- Cover with a slice of focaccia, and serve.