dsc00699 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

Judging by some of the comments and emails I received regarding my last post, it seems as if though I was either unclear or I was misunderstood. I think I was misunderstood. Blame it on my accent. (I don’t really have one)

Some of my readers seem to think that I might be a food snob?!? Me?! The girl that makes Pistachio Pudding from a box?

I am far from a food snob – and I do not aspire to become one, either.

dsc00715 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

The hosts of that party invited us to a “Dinner Party”, and they made it sound as if the party was going to be some sort of a Black-Tie Affair. They even asked me to bring, “that incredible” Chocolate Pie.

I spent four hours on that Chocolate Pie, plus chill time. They spent an hour at Sam’s to buy all the pre-packaged food, and probably another hour to set up.

Again, don’t get me wrong, I do not care that they bought it all from Sam’s, I just wish I wasn’t told that this was going to be a fancy, shmancy “Dinner Party”.

So now I am going to prove to some that I am definitely not a food snob, and that I do make things that come in a box! icon smile Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

dsc00694 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

Take this pizza for instance. You will probably never ever see me at a Pizza Hut, but you will definitely see me in the Baking Aisle at the grocery store reaching to grab one of these pouches:

dsc00668 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

I’ve blogged about this before. It is my favorite mix for a pizza crust and I use it very often.

Sunday was a day to relax, so instead of whipping up something from scratch, I decided that we were going to have a semi-homemade pizza, topped with cream cheese, ham, mozzarella, parmesan, onions, and baby portobella mushrooms.

dsc00665 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

Semi-Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

You will need:

• 1 Betty Crocker Pizza Crust mix
  • 1/4 (2 oz.) of a package of cream cheese, or you can use Neufchatel cheese
  • 1/2 cup baby portobella mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup of your favorite ham, diced, or you can use leftover baked/grilled sliced chicken
  • 1 small onion, red or yellow, sliced crosswise
  • 1/2 cup of part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:

• Preheat oven at 450.
  • Make the dough according to the directions on the package.

dsc00658 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

• Bake the dough for 7 minutes.
  • Let it cool.
  • Turn the oven down to 400.
  • Once cooled, spread the cream cheese evenly over the crust.

dsc00670 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

• Add the rest of the toppings.
  • Bake for 12 minutes, or until the mozzarella cheese is melted.
  • Sprinkle with a handful of parmesan cheese, cut and serve.

dsc00705 Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

pixel Semi Homemade Cream Cheese Pizza

51 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Alana Marie May 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM - Reply

Interesting Blog – This Cream Cheese Pizza looks scrumptious!!

2. Ed May 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM - Reply

Work has forced me to travil to Brazil, mainly in the Sao Paulo area. Brazilian pizza is amazing. I never imagined so many combinations of vegetarian pizza. My last trip down I experienced cream cheese based pizza; hot baked cream cheese pizza! I’m in love…. :) The pizza I had was onion, palm hearts, and cream cheese. To die for!

Thanks for sharing your cream cheese based pizza recipe.

3. freshandfoodie March 24, 2011 at 7:00 AM - Reply

Um, why have I never thought to do this before!? Cream cheese, which I love, is a great idea.

4. Kristi Rimkus March 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM - Reply

You’re not a food snob, but you are an incredible cook. Sounds like your friends know this, and can count on you for good food. :)

Wonderful pizza. I wouldn’t have thought of using cream cheese on a pizza. Time to give it a try!

Kristi

5. Carla Meine March 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM - Reply

So here’s what I see that’s probably the same for you. Some people invite you to a dinner party and ask you to bring something you’ve made before that they really like. Then they know one thing on the menu will be homemade (most everyone else goes to the local bakery or Costco to buy their item). Take it as a compliment & don’t stress about it and you definitely aren’t a food snob.

6. Anna March 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM - Reply

Pizza looks delicious, regardless home made or not. Sometimes a short cut is needed.

7. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen March 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM - Reply

THIS IS AMAZING!! I would pay good money for this pizza. Seriously! ♥-K

8. Sara @ Saucy Dipper March 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM - Reply

Cream cheese on a pizza…what a great idea. I’m definitely going to try it on my easy-peasy bagel pizzas.

9. Dana March 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM - Reply

You a snob? Of any sort? HA! You are one of the sweetest on here! Great post. I’m thinking pizza myself tonight. I have some left over cream cheese, no ham but bacon hmmm ;)

10. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz March 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM - Reply

Oh I missed the hoopla from the original post. But yeah I totally agree with you on your opinion of that dinner party. They ask you to slave over a dessert and they are too lazy to cook for their guests. I could understand 1 service…but the whole meal? Not fun.

This looks like a great pizza, love the idea of the cream cheese on the crust like that.

11. briarrose March 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM - Reply

I love pizza fresh out of my oven….I am something of a pizza nut. ;) This looks so tasty and I love the cream cheese instead of marinara. I’m going to have to try that out.

12. sarah March 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM - Reply

Oh I so love the idea of a cream cheese pizza. Definitely trying this soon!

13. lemonsandanchovies March 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM - Reply

I didn’t think you were a food snob for saying what you did on the other post. It sounds like the event was misrepresented. :-)

I admit that even though I make a lot of food from scratch, I don’t do it with pizza crust anymore. The pre-made ones from Trader Joe’s are awesome. Cheap, too. This pizza looks yum-mmy!

14. Maja March 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM - Reply

Mmmm, I love white sauce cheesy pizzas. Although I have to admit, that the best one I’ve had was from Domino’s here in Holland: sour cream base, bacon, ham, mushroms and onions….mmm, this recipe looks pretty good… wish my oven would behave so I could make a pizza 1

15. Susan March 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM - Reply

This looks like such a fun pizza! I love ‘white pizza’! But I’ll still make my own pizza crust!

16. claudia lamascolo March 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM - Reply

Wow is this different, looks so delicous I love cheese and would love to taste this !

17. Claudia March 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM - Reply

Fun posting with delicious results. I shmear goat cheese all over pre-made pizza dough, load it with vegetables and watch it disappear. I am definitely going to have to try the cream cheese route…

18. s March 22, 2011 at 10:53 AM - Reply

Ive never wanted pizza MORE desperately..it looks just heavenly!

19. Sprinkled With Flour March 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM - Reply

I’ve never had cream cheese on pizza before, but it sounds so good I must try it!

20. Michelle March 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM - Reply

I think we all take shortcuts in the kitchen and I’m glad you put this blog post up to show yours! :-)

21. Kristen March 22, 2011 at 7:46 AM - Reply

I have not seen those mixes before. What a convenience! And what you did with that pizza sounds just delicious. I had never thought to put cream cheese on a pizza before.

22. Angie's Recipes March 22, 2011 at 6:38 AM - Reply

The pizza looks awesome! I have no problem to use crust mix if they are good.

23. Medeja March 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM - Reply

Somehow I prefer home made pizza and from the beginning till the end home made :) But i have never tried to make it with cream cheese, sounds good, I will try next time

24. Kankana March 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM - Reply

Thanks for introducing the pizza crust mix. I always wanted to make Pizza at home where we can add whatever we like but the idea of making the crust always scares me! Your pizza looks so summer-y !!!

25. veggietestkitchen March 21, 2011 at 11:20 PM - Reply

It sounds like the issue was less about food and more about the hosts misleading you. Food across the quality spectrums all add different things to the taste buffet. I think it’s great to be versatile in the stuff you appreciate. I do appreciate Pizza Hut, I have to say. I can eat half a pizza in a sitting and I’m a tiny girl, but I’d probably be on the rails if I showed up to a potluck and someone made a boxed cake. Everyone has their nuanced tastes, it makes us all ‘different’. I don’t believe you’re a food snob at all ;) This pizza looks fantastic. I LOVE cream cheese. and LOVE pizza. so, this is a no brainer combo, and one that I honestly haven’t tried yet. I’ve done cream cheese, english muffin pizzas. I swear I can make a pizza out of anything. cheers!

26. Charlie March 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM - Reply

Spreading cream cheese on a pizza is such a good idea! Have to try! I use a packaged whole wheat thin square pizza crust when I make pizza at home. I did make my own pizza crust once but buying it saves a lot of time ;).

27. Kristina March 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM - Reply

You show those people who called you out! Who cares-you have your opinions!

28. Lori March 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM - Reply

Food snob? No way my girl! Busy moms just don’t have the time to be a food snob! I thought it was quite anti climatic to be expecting one thing and get something completely different. I love and nice easy pizza fix for a nice supper at home. I like the idea of cream cheese, nice and tangy. Looks scrumptious!

29. Lauren March 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM - Reply

I never thought of you as a food snob at all. I love the idea of adding cream cheese to pizza. Once again you are a genius. :)

30. Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com March 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM - Reply

If the delicious recipes you’ve posted make you a snob then we’re glad to know you! But… we just can;t imagine you that way. We so enjoy your blog, and you come across as sweet and caring and fun.. not exactly snob territory. And your pizza looks yummy, regardless of which box you used. When all’s said and done it’s about yuumy food isn’t it? Buzz!

31. Drick March 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM - Reply

have never used that mix before but coming from a food snob I know I should try it…. hey, I know what ya mean, I get pegged all the time for opening my mouth when I should be stuffing it…. and as for box and package foods, I just have two words to say – hell yeah

32. Sandra March 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM - Reply

Kate, you do you. As long as you’re happy and your family is satisfied that’s all that counts.

33. Sandra@ Sandra's Easy Cooking March 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM - Reply

Oh Kate…You are such an amazing cook, and everything in between but snob..no!!! For me it is always better when you make it homemade and you managed to make it always perfect and beautiful!
    And this pizza is wonderful combination of everything that I love,
    crust from the box..for me thumps up because we all looking for shortcut in the kitchen! Nicely done my friend!

34. Mateja March 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM - Reply

Looks amazing Kate! I said many time and here I go again: I love shortcuts and this Betty’s pizza crust is a perfect one! Thank you for sharing :)

35. Liz March 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM - Reply

Kate, your pizza sounds and looks amazing! You are as far from a food snob as I could imagine. Busy moms all need a few short cuts…so thank you for sharing one of yours with us :)

36. Becky March 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM - Reply

Your pizza looks so good, semi-homemade or not! We all need to relax once in awhile:)

37. Adriana March 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM - Reply

I need to look out for that pizza crust. There have been many Fridays when I’ve wanted to have a more homemade/clean-out-the-fridge pizza rather than stop for takeout. I love white pizzas and can only imagine the possibilities with the cream cheese base.

38. Firefly March 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM - Reply

I wanted to try this crust and wasn’t sure was it good (I have a very picky husband LOL) but now I’ll give it a try! The pizza looks wonderful and yummy!

Wait, food snob?!?!?
    LOL If they thought that about you than I can only imagine what they think of me ROFL…
    I seem to offend people when it comes to food, cooking and such, I had family members tell me how I drive them crazy with all the homemade, from scratch stuff LOL
    You never struck me as a food snob… I actually find the term very funny LOL because what, if you can cook you are a snob?!

I’m lost ROFL it has been a long Monday ;)

39. torviewtoronto March 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM - Reply

lovely crust looks wonderful

40. Evan @swEEts March 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM - Reply

There is nothing wrong with semi-homemade :) I really like that pizza crust too I use it when I’m too lazy to actually make a crust (or my fiance is haha) I like your toppings!

41. Lauren @ L-Mo Cooks March 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM - Reply

I never thought for a second that you were a food snob! It’s getting to be warmer in my neck of the woods, and I’ve been looking forward to making pizzas. I’ll have to keep this one in mind.

• Kate @ Diethood.com March 21, 2011 at 3:59 PM - Reply

Oh good…thank you! A couple of emails sorta made it sound that way… I just wanted to be in the clear.

42. Shea March 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM - Reply

You are SO not a food snob!!! And this pizza looks so good. Great, easy recipe.

43. teapotrose March 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM - Reply

I’m so glad to know that the Betty Crocker pizza dough mix is good because we have a little houseboat and that would be handy to keep on board for rainy days when we can’t grill. I’m really anxious to try the neufchatel cheese as well cause I have digestive problems with fats. I completely understand about the “fancy shmancy” dinner invitations. It kills me when the host wears a formal chef’s coat to serve pre-made foods or canned soup dishes. It’s just a little pretentious. I’m not a snob either but would be more comfortable if the host just served casual food in casual dress.